2017 Marmot Fest
Saturday, June 24: 6/24/2017 : 10:00 AM - 6/25/2017 : 3:00 PM
Join Staunton State Park in Pine to celebrate their Park mascot, the yellow-bellied marmot, at Marmot Fest on June 24-25. Visitors can enjoy guided hikes, viewing opportunities, kids’ activities, learn to rock climb, and more!
Few animals evoke a sense of leisure like the yellow-bellied marmot, a large member of the squirrel family often found basking on sunny rocks at 8,000 ft. and higher (though they can also be found down to about 5,000 ft). Marmots spend about 80% of their lives underground, so it’s usually during the summer season wildlife enthusiasts can see these plump ground squirrels sunning themselves on rock outcrops not far from their burrows.
- Marmot games and puppet making– be the marmot
- Investigate a burrow on the marmot crawl
- Scope out marmots with the park’s marmot monitors 9:30 – 1:30
- Learn about marmots on a scavenger hunt in the park
- Marmot vs dog challenge – does your dog measure up?
- Guided Hikes at 9:30 and 11:30
- Rock Climbing– 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. – Instruction and equipment provided
- Friends of Staunton State Park "Adopt-a-Marmot" Stewardship Program
For event details, view the event flyer
Audience: All Ages
12102 S. Elk Creek Road
Pine, CO, 80470
For details, see the event flyer.
Staunton State Park
« view all events