Sign In
Reservation Frequently Asked Questions
Reservation Frequently Asked Questions
  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Do I have to make a reservation to camp in one of your parks? 
    No, the parks allow camping on a first come, first served basis, providing there are unoccupied, unreserved sites available. However, you will have to move out if someone else comes in with a reservation for that site, with no guarantee that another site will be available for you. A reservation ensures that you will have the site you want, with the size and hookups you need, for the duration of your stay.

  • How far in advance can I make a reservation?
    A reservation can be made no more than 6 months before your arrival date.

  • What is the least amount of time required to make a reservation?
    A reservation can be made no less than three days before your date of arrival.

  • What is the maximum number of nights I can stay in a park? 
    No more than 14 days in any 45 day period.

  • How do I make a reservation at a state park? 
    You can call the call center or make reservations through the Internet. Call center hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. excluding weekends and holidays. The phone number is 1-800-678-2267 or within the Denver Metro Area 303-470-1144. All reservations, except those for group campgrounds and picnic sites, must be made through the Central Reservation Office or through the Internet.

  • When is the Central Reservation Office open? 
    Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. excluding weekends and holidays. The phone number is 1-800-678-2267 or within the Denver Metro Area 303-470-1144.

  • What hours can I make an Internet reservation? 
    Internet reservations can be made 24 hours a day. The six month window availability begins at midnight, MDT.​​

    ​6 Month
    Reservation Windo​w
    ​​ 3 Day Window
    for Reservations​
    First Come
    First Serve Window​
    To the date of arrival​ Booking on
    1st Reservable night
    ​Today is ​Park controls​ until ​
    ​January opens July​ ​SUN arrow pointing right
    WED SUN arrow pointing right TUE
    ​February opens August​ ​MON arrow pointing right
    ​THU MON arrow pointing right ​WED
    ​March opens September ​TUE arrow pointing right
    arrow pointing right 
    ​April opens October ​WED arrow pointing right
    SAT ​WED arrow pointing right FRI
    ​May opens November  ​THU​ arrow pointing right ​SUN THU arrow pointing right SAT
    June opens December ​ ​FRI arrow pointing right ​MON FRI arrow pointing right ​SUN
    ​July opens January SAT​ ​​arrow pointing right TUES SAT arrow pointing right ​MON​
    ​Reservations go live online at midnight. For example: at 12:00 AM MST on January 3rd, an arrival date of July 3rd will be available. ​​The call center is not open on Saturday or Sunday, but ​reservations can be made online 24/7​ The Park takes control of inventory inside this window, and sells campsites on a first come first serve basis only. Sites cannot be guaranteed​​
    ​ ​​
  • Can I make a check payment over the phone? 
    The reservation software is not set up to take check payments by phone at this time.

  • Why can't I make a reservation at a park during the winter? 
    Not all parks remain open during the winter. Some parks are reservable year-round, and some parks allow camping with limited facilities for reservations or first come/first serve camping. Other parks must close their facilities completely due to staffing and weather.

  • Why aren't vehicle fees included in the camping fee? 
    There are parks in the state park system that do not have camping and are day use only areas. Therefore, we have entrance fees that are separate from camping.

  • Where can I get an annual state parks pass? 
    At any state park or park office during regular business hours, or you can order your pass online. $70 Annual Park Passes are also available at Safeway, REI and Sportsman’s Warehouse stores. 

  • What if I can’t use my reservation? You have two options.

    1. You can cancel your reservation and lose the $10 non-refundable reservation fee and either a $6 cancellation fee or the first night's camping fee, depending on the number of days prior to the arrival date that the cancellation is made. Reservations made online can be cancelled either online or through the Central Reservation Office. Reservations made by phone can only be cancelled through the Central Reservation Office.

    2. For a $6 change fee, you can change your arrival date to a future date within the same park. All changes can only be done through the Central Reservation Office during call center hours and before the official check in date of your confirmed reservation.

  • What if I do not show up or cancel?
    If you do not show up within 24 hours of your scheduled check in time, and you do not notify the park that you will be arriving late, your site may be resold and may not be available when you arrive. If you call to cancel after your scheduled check in time, you will be referred to the park for possible refund.

  • What if I leave early? 
    There is a one night penalty for early departure. Refund, if applicable, will be handled by the park.

  • What are the check-in times? 
    Official check in for campsites is 1 p.m., for cabins and yurts it is 2 p.m. (except for the large cabin at Sylvan Lake State Park and Harmsen Ranch cabin at Golden Gate Canyon State Park, which both have a check in of 3 p.m. Cabins at Mueller and Navajo State Parks have check ins at 4 p.m.). Check out times for all facilities is 12 noon.​

  • How many people can camp on my site? 
    A maximum of six people or immediate family (two adults plus minor children) is allowed per campsite. Limiting the amount of usage on a site helps prevent erosion of the campsite.

  • Can I have a campfire or a portable stove? 
    Yes, as long as there are no fire bans in effect for the park. Campfires may be built in the fire ring provided at each site. No fires shall be left unattended and must be fully extinguished before leaving the campsite. Portable stoves may be used only in established campsites and designated picnic areas.

  • What are quiet hours in the park?
    Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. daily. This includes generator noise.

  • Can I bring alcoholic beverages? 
    Only alcohol containing 3.2% alcohol is permitted on park property. Possession of alcoholic beverages by anyone under 21 years of age is prohibited.

  • Can I have extra vehicles at my site? 
    State park regulations allow for one vehicle in addition to camping equipment at each site. Many parks will allow a second vehicle if space allows. If there is no room on the site, or the park stipulates it, extra vehicles may be parked in designated parking areas. All vehicles are required to have a valid Colorado State Parks pass.

    If a visitor camping at a state park tows a vehicle with their camping unit, a tow pass is required. The towed vehicle pass is intended for a vehicle that is towed in by a motor home. The motor home is required to have a paid pass and the towed vehicle pass is issued at no charge to a vehicle towed or carried in by a motor home. To receive the towed vehicle pass, a camping permit or proof of a camping reservation must be presented at an attended visitor center, office, or entrance station. The towed vehicle pass is placed on the vehicle being towed and the tow vehicle must be under tow at the time of entry. The towed vehicle pass is valid for the same time period as the camping permit/reservation.

  • Can I have guests at my campsite? 
    Campers are allowed to have guests. All guests must pay the entrance fee for their vehicles.

  • Where can I set up on my site? 
    Some parks have designated camping areas within a designated border. All your belongings must be contained within the bordered area. Please confine tents to designated tent pads. If you are unsure whether your equipment will fit, please call the park. On sites that do not have a bordered area, all of your equipment should be within your site and not overflowing onto neighboring sites.

    If my campsite is near a water hydrant, can I stay connected? If it is a community hydrant, then you must fill your tanks and disconnect.

  • How many amps are your electrical posts? 
    All of our electrical posts are at least 30 amps, but may be more. Call the park or visit the Colorado State Parks web page for specific information.

  • Can I bring my pet? 
    Yes, with some restrictions. Your pet must be on a leash that is no longer then six feet in length at all times. Pets are restricted from some yurts, cabins and some trails. Check with the park directly before arrival. There is a $10 per night pet fee collected for those cabins and yurts that accept pets. Owner is responsible for removal of pet waste. Failure to do so may result in a fine.

  • Can I bring my horse to my campsite? 
    There are only a few Parks that allow horses in their campground. Please check the Colorado State Parks web page or call the park for these restrictions.

  • Are there group campgrounds at the park? 
    Some parks, but not all have group campgrounds. Group Campground reservations are handled at the park. You can visit the Colorado State Parks web page or call the Central Reservation Office to find out which parks have group campgrounds.

  • Can I reserve a picnic shelter or group campground? 
    These areas are reserved by the individual park and not through the Central Reservation Office.

  • What is the cabin set-up? 
    This can vary between each cabin. Visit the Colorado State Parks web page or call the individual park or the Central Reservation Office for details on a specific cabin.

  • How many people can I have in a cabin or yurt? 
    A yurt will sleep a maximum of 6 people. Each cabin has its own capacity limit. Please visit the Colorado State Parks web page or contact the individual park or Central Reservation Office for specific cabin capacity.

  • Do children count toward capacity count? 
    Yes, children (including infants) are counted toward the total occupancy limit of the cabin or yurt.

  • Can I pitch a tent or set up an RV next to my cabin or yurt?
    No, with the exception of Ridgway State Park. The arrangements for tent or RV setup at the Ridgway yurts must be made by contacting the park directly. Occupancy and equipment limits and additional fees, payable at the park, will apply. Contact Ridgway State Park or the Central Reservation Office for details.

  • Why can’t I make an online reservation for a cabin at Mueller State Park?
    The park has decided that, due to the detailed information pertaining to their cabins, they would like the cabin reservations handled only through the Central Reservation Office.

  • I am an Aspen Leaf pass holder and made a reservation online, but I didn’t get my camping discount.  How can I get my discount? 
    Call the Central Reservation Office for assistance. ​Be prepared to give your reservation number to the agent.

  • Why can't the Central Reservation Office mail me park brochures or maps? 
    Each park has maps and detailed brochures about their park and are happy to mail them to anyone who calls and requests one. Park maps, brochures and other information is also available online.

  • Why don't other park offices have toll free numbers? 
    The Central Reservation Office is the only office that has a toll free number. The $10 non-refundable reservation fee helps cover the cost of providing the toll free number.

  • Can you look up my friend's reservation or tell which site they are in?
    If you need a site in a certain area or need to be in sites next to the rest of your party, please obtain that information directly from your party. The Central Reservation Office cannot be responsible for searching and trying to find reservation information for other customers.

  • Can I get a discount for my boy scout/girl scout Troop? 
    The Central Reservation Office does not have the authority to give discounts to campers. Please call the park you are interested in visiting and ask the park staff about special permits.

  • I'm having problems reaching someone at the park, how can I get a hold of a park staff member? 
    Each park has its own designated hours of operation. If no one is at the park, follow the instructions per the park's phone recording to have someone from the park contact you.

  • How do I get a hunting or fishing license? 
    Some designated park offices sell licenses or you can call the CPW at 303-297-1192.

  • How do I register a boat? 
    You can register your boat at the State Park Littleton Office Center, Region Offices and some designated Park Offices. Please call 303-791-1920 for more information.

If you still have questions, please feel free to send an email to