Sign In
Buy Hunting Licenses
Buy Hunting Licenses
Plan Ahead: 2018 Application Changes in
New Purchasing ​System

To ensure a smooth application process we are encouraging all hunters to get into the new system early and review your information BEFORE APPLYING for the draw.

  • Existing hunters, PLEASE LOOK UP your CPW account using your CID and confirm your personal information, including preference points.
  • Confirm your Driver's License information. If your license was issued or renewed within the past 6 months, you will need to confirm your residency at a CPW offiaace or via email​ to our hunt planning team.
  • Applications open March 1 and close on April 3. Don't wait until the last minute to log into the system to ensure access and confirm your personal and preference point information.

Please see the Big Game hunting​ and online purchasing FAQs​ page for additional resources and details.



Additional Big Game Hunter Information

How Do I Apply for Just a Preference Point?

​​Colorado Parks and Wildlife big game preference point codes can be found in our 2018 Big Game Brochure and 2018 Colorado Sheep & Goat brochure. However, for easy reference, we have compiled a list of our preference point codes for each big game species. To submit a big game application please visit our NEW Integrated Parks and Wildlife Purchasing System​.

  • Antelope: A-P-999-99-P
  • Bear: B-P-999-99-P
  • Deer: D-P-999-99-P
  • Elk: E-P-999-99-P
  • Goat: G-P-999-99-P
  • Moose: M-P-999-99-P
  • Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep: S-P-999-99-P
  • Desert Bighorn Sheep: There are no preference points.  


Notice: Hunters Applying for Licenses within Walk-in Access Properties in Lincoln, Crowley Counties

​The landowner of a large Walk-in Access​ property, which offered big game hunting access last year as part of the pilot, is NOT going to enroll the ranch for 2018. Please note this change if you had planned to apply for a big game hunting license with the intent to hunt on this property. See the “hunter notification map.”


Tax Checkoff otter

Purchase at a Retail Location

​​Stop by hundreds of retailers​ or a CPW location and buy your license in person.  

Purchase By Phone

​Toll free 1-800-244-5613​​

Purchase Online

​​Buy a leftover license online​.

To learn more about creating an account, or how to buy a hunting license in our new integrated purchasing system, please visit our online purchasing FAQs page​.​

Things to know when buying online or by phone 

  • ​The 2017 license year runs from 4/1/2017 - 3/31/2018. 2017 annual, one-day, mountain lion, and spring turkey license sales began March 15, 2017.

  • Customers may use Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit cards. Visa, MasterCard​, or Discover debit cards work if they can be used without a PIN. Licenses are mailed the business day following the purchase.​

  • Customers must have completed all the requirements for Hunter Education before applying for or buying a hunting license or before applying for a preference point.

  • In most cases, licenses purchased online or over the phone will reach you by mail within 10 days or you may pick up your license at a license agent location or Colorado Parks and Wildlife office.

  • Except for big game, Turkey licenses, and the Colorado Waterfowl Stamp, a temporary authorization number (TAN) may be substituted for the license(s) purchased for 14 days from the date of purchase. Please print or write down (must be legible) the TAN and carry it with you while hunting or fishing until you receive your license. If the license OR all of the licenses you purchase in this transaction expire in less than 7 days, you will NOT receive anything in the mail. A temporary authorization number (TAN) is all you need for 1 or 5 day fishing or small game hunting licenses. 

  • When you receive your license, review it for accuracy and sign it to validate it. If there are any issues, please contact the call center at (303) 297-1192 or a CPW office.

  • Telephone sales representatives at 1-800-244-5613 are trained to sell licenses and do not know specific wildlife-related information for Colorado. For questions not related to the sale of licenses, call Colorado Parks and Wildlife at (303) 297-1192.​

​Mule deer by the number: How CPW calculates wildlife population​

​CPW has been inventorying deer populations, as well as other species such as elk, from the air for over 50 years.The aerial inventory helps CPW understand fawn reproductive rates and set wildlife population goals as well as the number of hunting licenses offered every year.

Learn more about how CPW calculates mule deer population.