Volunteer at Roxborough
You can make a difference by volunteering at Roxborough State Park: learn new skills, meet new people, and visit new landscapes.
- Outdoor stewardship will become a new and rewarding aspect of your life.
- Have fun and give something back at the same time!
Volunteer Program Options
Group and Community Service Projects
Large group projects are great for school groups, company service projects, team building, scout groups, eagle scout projects or other large groups looking for a community service project.
- Typically a one-time project, but:
- can be scheduled for more than one day
- can be setup as a reoccurring service project
- Projects vary depending on the groups interest and skill base.
- Projects can include but are not limited to trail work, corridor clearing, non-native plant eradication, and special projects.
If interested please contact Joe Herman at 303-973-3959 or by email at
Weed Warriors: Help Eradicate Non-native Plant Species
Weed Warriors help to eradicate non-native and invasive plant species that often destroy and replace our native plants. By removing the non-native plants you will be helping to improve Roxborough State Park for all its visitors and its wildlife!
- Can be done by volunteers of all ages.
- This work is simple and straightforward, but can be repetitive.
- Eradication of non-native plants is done by clipping seed heads, bagging reproductive parts, pulling plants, roots and buds and disposing of them.
To sign up, visit the
volunteer page and search for Roxborough State Park weed warriors.
Resource Rescuers Trails Team: Help Maintain Roxborough's Trails
Roxborough State Park is home to a wide diversity of trails, but there is limited staffing to maintain them in the face of increased visitation.
- Trail volunteers help reduce the harmful impacts of erosion, improve the trail's durability and make a lasting impact on future visitors.
- Trail work is perfect for volunteers who are comfortable working with their hands.
This work is tough but rewarding as you rework trails to be sustainable by:
- widening trails to accommodate drainage and use
- clearing trail corridors(trimming branches/bushes)
- building fences
- building walls
- building other structures including switchbacks
To sign up, visit the volunteer page and search for for Roxborough State Park resource rescuers trail crew.
Our Volunteer naturalists are a skilled group of volunteers who help out with most aspects of the park. The Roxborough volunteer naturalist program has been active for over 35 years.
Volunteer naturalists help out with:
- School and Kids Programs
- Puppet Theater
- Kids Programs
- Guided and History Hikes
- Geology talks
- Leave No Trace Awareness
- Raptor Monitoring
- Bird Watching Guides
- Staffing the Visitor Center and Entrance Booth
Volunteer naturalists go through specialized training before they can start their volunteer work: the next volunteer naturalist classes will start in April 2021.
To find out more about joining our naturalist program, stop by the Roxborough visitor center to talk to existing volunteers and pick up an application.