Sign In
Colorado Resident Status
Colorado Resident Status

​​​​​​​​​​​​Why does Colorado residency matter?

Colorado residents can apply for hunting, trapping, and fishing licenses at in-state rates. Residents are also eligible for specific programs and passes that Colorado Parks and Wildlife offers. Residency also affects OHV, Boating, and snowmobile registration.

​​​​​​​​​​Who is a Colorado Reside​​​nt? ​

A Colorado “resident” is someone who has lived in Colorado for at least 6 continuous months immediately prior to the purchase of CPW products and intends to make Colorado their primary state of residency. ​​To claim Colorado residency, the customer must hold a valid Colorado Driver's License or Colorado Identification Card. The only exceptions include: full-time students, military and diplomats. Please refer to the Pro​of of Residency document for further details.

How do I know if I am not a resident?

​​​If you can answer "Yes" to any of the questions below, you cannot claim yourself as a Colorado resident at this time.

  • ​I have a driver's license that shows an address other than Colorado.*

  • I claim residency in more than one state or country.​*

  • I am registered to vote in another state or foreign country.*

  • I purchased a resident license in another state in the past 6 months.

  • I applied for, purchased, or accepted a resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license from another state or foreign country.​​​​

  • I am a person under age 18 and my primary legal guardian is not a Colorado resident.


​ Exemptions for Military

Military members will qualify for Colorado residency if they are:
  1. Serving in the armed forces,
  2. On active duty in Colorado, AND
  3. Serving on permanent (PCS) orders.
Armed forces personnel who maintain Colorado as their official "home of record" are considered Colorado residents. Active duty does not include reserve status or National Guard. Military Member's spouse and/or dependents share the same residency status.​

Exemptions for Students

Colorado Students

Full time students enrolled at an accredited trade school, college or university in Colorado for the past 6 months are considered Colorado residents.

Out-of-state Students

Are you a resident attending a trade school or college full-time elsewhere? Do you pay non-resident tuition? Have you been a full time student out of state for the past 6 months? If so, you qualify as a Colorado resident.