Sign In
​Off-Highway Vehicle Registrations & Permits
​Off-Highway Vehicle Registrations & Permits
OHV Riders at Jackson Lake State Park

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​What Consituties an OHV:  Off-highway vehicles (OHVs) include motorcycles, dirt bikes, three-wheelers, ATVs, and ​​dune buggies that a​​re operated on public land or trails in Colorado. ​


​​The online renewal system is currently unavailab​le  ​

While CPW finishes migrating the system, please visit a CPW office or park to renew your boat, OHV or snowmobile registration.

​If you have any other questions or comments about registration renewals, please contact the CPW call center by email or phone, 303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s).​​


Who must register:

 ​Registration Renewals are required annually and are valid from April 1 through March 31 each year. ​​​​​​​​​

Who must purchase a permit:

  • Colorado residents with PLATED VEHICLES (off road + street legal vehicles, including motorcycles) are required to purchase a permit
  • Non-residents are required to purchase a permit regardless of whether or not they choose to register. 



The Online Renewal System is Currently Unavailable

​While CPW finishes migrating the system, please visit a CPW office or park to renew your boat, OHV or snowmobile registration.

If you have any other questions or comments about registration renewals, please contact the CPW call center.​​


Registration renewal cards for OHVs are mailed to currently registered owners each March. You may renew your registration online​. Annual registration fee is $25.25. You MUST have your registration number to renew online. If you need your registration number or more information, call 303-791-1920.​


Colorado OHV Registration requirements:

Colorado Residents who own an​d operate OHVs in Colorado (including motor vehicles and motorcycles that are not licensed for public road access) must display current Colorado OHV registration stickers when in a person’s possession in an OHV staging area or operated on designated OHV trails or routes in Colorado.​

How to ​​Register

To register your OHV in your name for the first time, complete the OHV Registration Form and return it, along with your proof of ownership, to:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Registration Unit
13787 South Highway 85
Littleton, CO 80125

You may also register your vehicle at various OHV dealers or many Colorado Parks and Wildlife offices. ​Please call the Registration Unit at 303-791-1920 for a list of agent locations near you. 

Effective July 1, 2014, Title is required for all power sports​ vehicle dealers and auctioneer sales. OHV titling is optional for private party to private party sales. For titling information, see Titling Off Road Vehicles SB13-280 on the Department of Revenue website​. ​

What Constitutes Acceptable Proof of Ownership:

New Regulation Requirements for CO Residents​ (effective 1/1/2017) 

​Colorado Parks & Wildlife regulations now state that a registration applicant must provide acceptable proof of ownership for boat, snowmobile and off-highway vehicle registrations in the form of one of the following:

  • Bill of sale* that includes both the seller and buyer's printed names and signatures, the vessel/vehicle identification number (if any), the vessel/vehicle make, model and year (if known), and the date of the sale; 

  • Previous registration certificate issued by a governmental entity that lists the applicant as registered owner;

  • Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO)/Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO);

  • Certificate of Title;

  • Any court issued document proving ownership;

  • A collection of personal property by affidavit form pursuant to 15-12-1201, C.R.S.; 

  • A physical inspection form completed by a CPW agent​

*An acceptable private ​party to private party Bill of Sale Template can be downloaded here for your use. 


​​​R​​egistration Fees

The annual registration fee is $25.25. Registrations are valid from April 1 through March 31 each year. This is a flat administrative transaction fee – it cannot be pro-rated for a partial year's registration, and will not be subject to refund if the vehicle is sold or stolen. 

Purchasing an OHV

Dealers are required by law to complete the registration application for you and collect the registration fee before the vehicle leaves their premises. The dealer will forward the application to our office where we will process the request. 

If purchasing an OHV from a private party, have the seller provide you with a Bill of Sale to serve as your proof of ownership. An acceptable Bill of Sale includes: 

  • both the seller and buyer’s printed names and signatures,
  • the vehicle identification number (if any), 
  • the vehicle make, model and year (if known) and 
  • the date of the sale. 

An acceptable private party to private party Bill of Sale template can be downloaded here for your use. When you purchase an OHV from a private party, you may use your Bill of Sale as a temporary registration for 30 days. The Bill of Sale must be carried on the OHV while riding until the registration decals and card get to you in the mail. 

Sorry, at this time, on-line registration for a newly purchased OHV is not available.


Colorado OHV Permit requirements:

All OHVs and motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that display a valid Colorado license plate must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails in Colorado.

All out-of-state OHVs (including OHVs that display an out of state OHV registration) must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on​ designated OHV trails or routes in Colorado.

Permit fees are $25.25. 

​For Resident-Plated Vehicles

​Permits for resident plated vehicles (off road + street legal vehicles) are available to purchase online at CPW Shop from April through December. Please allow 14 days for your order to arrive in the mail. 

OHV permits are also available at retail locations selling hunting and fishing licen​ses​. To purchase a permit in-person upon arrival in Colorado, please see the authorized sales agent list to find a retail location near you.​

​For Out-of-state Residents

Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or you can order one online at CPW Shop​ from April through December.

Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on​ the vehicle's outside face of the right front fender or fork. Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.

Decal Placement

Registration decals must be affixed permanently on the upper forward-half of the OHV in a location where the decal can be easily seen. Suggestions: On ATVs the decals could be placed on the outer side of the fenders, on the tank or on the cowling. On bikes, place a decal on each of the outside faces of the upper end of the forks or on the tank. OHV operators must carry their registration card and show it to any peace officer on request. For general decal placement instructions for all types of OHVs and boats, see the Registrations Decal Placement Brochure. View the specific decal placement illustrations for these vehicles: 


Where the Money Goes

The Colorado OHV Registration Program fees fund trail maintenance, construction, trailheads, parking areas, trail signs, maps, and land acquisition. It also enables law enforcement personnel to identify and return stolen vehicles, encourages safe and responsible OHV use, and promotes respect for public lands.

Benefits of the OHV Program​

Many groups benefit from OHV registration, including:

  • OHV owners and operators; 

  • Towns and counties that want to attract OHV recreators to enhance their local economies; and ​

  • The general public; educated OHV enthusiasts are more conscientious and better stewards of the land. 

Registration funds also enable local, state and federal land managers to better manage our natural resources.

Annually, this direct benefit to enthusiasts funds over $4 million in trail opportunities and improvements. Read more about the OHV grants program​​. ​