Sign In
State Trust Lands
State Trust Lands
Mountain View

A valid hunting or fishing license is required for everyone 18 or older accessing any State Wildlife Area or Colorado Parks and Wildlife-leased State Trust Land, effective July 1, 2020.
For more information, read the frequently asked questions. An annual hunting or annual fishing license can be purchased through CPW authorized sales agents, by phone (1-800-244-5613), or online at CPWShop.

On July 18, 2019, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission unanimously approved a multi-year expansion of the Public Access Program​ that added 77,182 acres to the program for the fall 2019 hunting season. The Public Access Program provides limited, seasonal hunting and fishing opportunities on Colorado trust land across the state.
In 2020, Colorado hunting access increased again as CPW expanded the Public Access Program by 206,520 acres. 

These are the first steps in a multi-year effort to double the size of the Public Access Program. These first two additions take us from 465,000 acres in 2018 to 774,000 acres in 2020, representing a 66% increase over the last two years. Our goal is to reach one million acres by the 2021 hunting season.

​​​​About the State Trust Land Public Access Program

​​State Trust Lands in Colorado currently total nearly 3 million surface acres, but you can't hunt or recreate on all of it. Public access for wildlife-related recreation on 774,000 acres of State Trust Land (STL) is made possible through the Public Access Program, a lease agreement between the State Land Board and Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Signs at individual properties describe allowed uses, rules and time frames for public use.

What are trust lands?

State Trust Lands include about three million acres of state-owned lands used for a specific purpose — to generate revenue and provide financial support for Colorado public schools (K-12) and other public institutions.

What can I do there?

Lands enrolled in the Public Access Program are open to a variety of wildlife-related uses, including hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing. The listings on the following pages provide information regarding allowable uses, site-specific rules and timeframes for use. Most lands are not accessible by vehicle, ATVs, or snowmobiles, and there may be additional restrictions on camping, parking and off-road driving. Unauthorized use or activity on these lands may be subject to enforcement from CPW officers or local authorities.

When are they open?

Most properties are open for wildlife-related recreation from Sept. 1 through the end of February, unless listed otherwise in this brochure. Enrolled lands are closed to public access all other times of the year. The State Land Board leases most properties for other uses as well, such as livestock grazing, farming, or mining. Please be respectful of these other authorized uses on these lands.

Where are they?

Public Access Lands are located all around Colorado. For more information, please see the Colorado ​​​Recreational Lands Brochure index​, descriptions, and maps​. ​

More Information:​​ State Land Board website