Sign In
State Trust Lands
State Trust Lands
Mountain View

A valid hunting or fishing license is required for everyone 16 or older accessing any State Trust Land.
SWA passes may not be used to access STLs leased by the Division due to current leasing agreements between CPW and the State Land Board. For more information, read the frequently asked questions. An annual hunting or annual fishing license can be purchased through CPW authorized sales agents, by phone (1-800-244-5613), or online at CPWShop.

Beginning fall 2021, the Public Access Program has been expanded to 973,000 acres. This expansion concludes a 3-year effort by Colorado Parks & Wildlife and the State Land Board to double the amount of accessible state trust land for hunting and fishing. For more information, see the Colorado Parks and Wildlife expands 'Public Access Program' news release.

​​​​About the State Trust Land Public Access Program

​​State Trust Lands in Colorado currently total nearly 3 million surface acres, but you can't hunt or fish on all of it. Public access for hunting and fishing on 973,000 acres of State Trust Land (STL) is made possible through the Public Access Program, a lease agreement between the State Land Board and Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Signs at individual properties describe allowed uses, rules and time frames for use. For more information, see the State Land Board Public Access on Trust Land page.

What are trust lands?

State Trust Lands include about three million acres of state-owned lands used for a specific purpose — to generate revenue and provide financial support for Colorado public schools (K-12) and other public institutions.

What can I do there?

Lands enrolled in the Public Access Program are open seasonally for hunting and fishing. The listings on the following pages provide information regarding allowable uses, site-specific rules and timeframes for use. Most lands are not accessible by vehicle, ATVs, or snowmobiles, and there may be additional restrictions on parking and off-road driving. Unauthorized use or activity on these lands may be subject to enforcement from CPW officers or local authorities.

When are they open?

Most properties are open seasonally for hunting and fishing from Sept. 1 through the end of February, unless listed otherwise in this brochure. Enrolled lands are closed to public access all other times of the year. The State Land Board leases most properties for other uses as well, such as livestock grazing, farming, or mining. Please be respectful of these other authorized uses on these lands.

Where are they?

Public Access Lands are located all around Colorado. For more information, please see the Colorado ​​​Recreational Lands Brochure index​, descriptions, and maps​. ​