The mission of Colorado Parks and Wildlife is to perpetuate the wildlife resources of the state, to provide a quality state parks system, and to provide enjoyable and sustainable outdoor recreation opportunities that educate and inspire current and future generations to serve as active stewards of Colorado's natural resources.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife is a nationally recognized leader in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. The agency manages 41 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 350 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. CPW issues hunting and fishing licenses, conducts research to improve wildlife management activities, protects high priority wildlife habitat through acquisitions and partnerships, provides technical assistance to private and other public landowners concerning wildlife and habitat management and develops programs to understand, protect and recover threatened and endangered species.
CPW also administers the state's trail program and registers boats, snowmobiles, off-highway vehicles and river outfitters. Parks and Wildlife employees and their partners work together to provide ongoing and outstanding customer service through recreational programs, amenities, and services. Regulations are established by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife Strategic Plan
The strategic plan identifies six goals that the agency will work towards in order to achieve CPW’s mission and vision.
These goals are:
- Goal I - Conserve wildlife and habitat to ensure healthy sustainable populations and ecosystems.
- Goal II - Manage state parks for world class outdoor recreation.
- Goal III - Achieve and maintain financial sustainability.
- Goal IV - Maintain dedicated personnel and volunteers.
- Goal V - Increase awareness and trust for CPW.
- Goal VI - Connect people to Colorado’s outdoors.
For more information, pleased read the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Strategic Plan .
E-Newsletter Sign Ups
- CPW eNews: Get personalized news and information from Colorado Parks & Wildlife. CPW publishes weekly newsletters, with each edition focused on topics including Colorado's state parks, fishing, hunting, trails and recreation, and conservation. Choose the newsletters that are most important to you. Subscribers also receive breaking news and regional event information specifically tailored to your interests and location.