- Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Always take someone with you, never go out alone.
- Always stick to your plan, stay put if you become lost or stranded.
- Always carry a survival kit and first aid kit and know how to use both.
- Always dress for weather but prepare for changes.
- Always carry rain gear, you must protect yourself from the elements.
- Always remember that there is no shame in getting lost, the shame is in having to come out in a body bag.
The W.I.S.E. Man’s Guide to Wilderness Survival — Whitmore, Papa Bear
Outdoor Survival Skills — Olson, Larry Dean
Surviving the Unexpected Wilderness Emergency — Fear, Eugene
The Search — Brown, Tom, Jr.
The Secrets of Warmth — Weiss, Hal
Poisonous Dwellers of the Deserts — The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum
Medicine of Mountaineering — The Seattle Mountaineers