Sign In
First Responder Lifetime Program
First Responder Lifetime Program

​​​​​​​​​​​Thank you for your service!

Under the First Responder Lifetime Program, Colorado Parks and Wildlife is proud to offer a free First Responder Lifetime Fishing and Small Game Hunting Combo License (First Responder Combo License) and annual parks pass (Blue Spruce Pass) for qualifying first responders, with a permanent occupational disability. Qualifying first responders may also choose to receive only the fishing portion of the combo license (First Responder Lifetime Fishing License).

First Responder Combo License and First Responder Lifetime Fishing License holders are exempt from purchasing a Habitat Stamp each year. These licenses will only be valid as long as the applicant maintains their Colorado residency.

The Blue Spruce Parks Pass allows first responder residents with a permanent occupational disability to:

  • Receive an annual state park pass free of charge. 
  • Transfer the pass between vehicles, allowing the Blue Spruce Pass holder and others in the same vehicle to enter the park. The pass holder must be present for the pass to be valid. 
  • Visit any of Colorado's state parks for 12 continuous months from the issue date. (Please note: Visitors to Cherry Creek State Park are charged an additional $3 annual fee for the Water Basin Authority.)

How to Qualify for the First Responder Lifetime Program

  1. Be a Colorado resident. To obtain the First Responder License and/or parks pass, you must be a Colorado resident. “Resident” means a person who has lived in Colorado for at least six consecutive months immediately prior to the date of application, has a Colorado driver’s license or state ID and has the intention of making Colorado their permanent home.

  2. Provide proof of a permanent occupational disability or disease by one of the following means:
    • An “Initial Disability Administration Decision” form from the Fire and Police Pension Association (FPPA) that specifies a permanent occupational disability; or
    • For residents that are not members of FPPA, a fully completed Colorado Parks and Wildlife “First Responder Affidavit” (located on the application), signed by the applicant attesting that their permanent disability or disease was obtained as a result of performing official duties.

  3. Provide proof of hunter education if you were born after 1/1/1949. Any person born on or after January 1, 1949, is required to provide proof of having completed a hunter’s education course before applying for the First Responder Combo License.​ Hunter education is not required for the fishing portion of the license (First Responder Lifetime Fishing License); if you only wish to obtain the fishing portion of the license, please write the words “Fishing Only” in the hunter education field of the application.

​What to Include in Your Application Packet

Please Note: Without proper documentation, we will be unable to process your application. Please be sure to fill out the application completely. Any missing information will delay the processing of your request and may result in a denial. 

  1. First Responder Lifetime Program Application (PDF)
  2. Proof of your qualifying disability, as discussed above
  3. A copy of your Hunter Education certificate or card (if you were born after 1/1/1949). Hunter education is not required for the fishing portion of the license; if you only wish to obtain the fishing portion of the license, please write the words “Fishing Only” in the hunter education field of the application.

​Where to Send Your Application​ Packet

Applications can be submitted via email at They can also be submitted via mail or in person at: 

​​Colorado Parks & Wildlife
Attn: First Responder Program
6060 Broadway
Denver, CO, 80216

Frequently Asked Questions

What does "CID" mean on the application?

"CID" refers to your account number with Colorado Parks and Wildlife if you have ever purchased licenses, passes, or made camping reservations in the past. If you do not know this number, or do not have an account with Colorado Parks and Wildlife, you can leave this box blank and it will be filled in for you.

How long will it take to receive​ my license?

Please allow at least 15 business days for verification and processing time. Less time is required for processing for applications submitted via email or in person.

Does the First Responder Combo License count as a qualifying license to apply for the big game draws?

Yes. The First Responder Combo License counts as a qualifying license and allows the license holder to apply for the draws. The fishing-only version of this license (First Responder Lifetime Fishing License) will not be considered a qualifying license for the big game draws. First Responder Combination applications received by the end of the day on March 26, 2024 will be processed in time for the customer to apply for the Primary Draw. 

Do I need to apply for the First Responder Combo License each year?

No, once you have been approved for the program, your license is valid as long as you remain a resident of Colorado. The license does not need to be renewed each year, and can be used as long as it is intact and readable. The same applies for the fishing-only version of this license (First Responder Lifetime Fishing License).

How can I get a replacement of my lifetime license?

Replacement licenses can be obtained in person at any of our sales locations, by email at, or by leaving your information (full name, date of birth, and mailing address) at 303-291-7235.

Can the Apprentice Hunter Education certificate be used to meet the hunter education requirement?

No. Lifetime licenses come with a lifetime approval, therefore temporary hunter education certificates cannot be used to meet hunter education requirements for these licenses.

Do I apply for the Blue Spruce Parks Pass each year?

No. You only need to apply for the pass once. Once you are approved, you will be able to renew your pass each year online, in person at any CPW location, or by phone at 1-800-244-5613 as long as you remain a resident of Colorado.

How do I renew my Blue Spruce Parks Pass?

Once you are approved in our system, you will be able to purchase your pass each year online, in person at any CPW location, or by phone at 1-800-244-5613, as long as you remain a resident of Colorado. 

Does the Blue Spruce Parks Pass offer any camping discounts?

Blue Spruce Pass Holders 64+ years of age will receive a $3 discount per night Sunday through Thursday (except holidays). Customers must have a current, valid Blue Spruce Pass at the time of reservation and at the time of their stay and be the primary occupant of their campsite. At the time of their stay, pass holders must provide photo identification with proof of age along with their Blue Spruce Pass to receive the discount.

How were the qualifications for this program determined?

The rules for the First Responder Resident Lifetime Program, including qualifying documentation and eligible first responder personnel, are set by Colorado Revised Statute 33-4-104.5  and Colorado Parks and Wildlife Regulation Chapter W-0, Article II, #002.Q.3 and Chapter P-07 #701.3.