Sign In
State Wildlife Area

Prewitt Reservoir SWA


GMU: 96
From I-76 at the Merino exit (Exit 102), go 1 mile north to U.S. 6, then 3 1/2 miles northeast (right) to the entrance and follow signs to the boat ramp. 

There is parking below the dam for fishing the dam or hunting the sloughs to the east.

min. 4,057 ft - max 4,109 ft

2924 acres


Warm water;#


Boat Ramp;#Restrooms;#


A. An SWA annual permit is required for anyone ages 18-64 if you wish to access one of the following state wildlife areas: Jumbo Reservoir, Lake DeWeese, Prewitt Reservoir or San Luis Lakes.

Permits are valid April 1–March 31 and available through CPW authorized sales agents, by phone (1-800-244-5613), or online. 

NOTE: A valid annual hunting ​or annual fishing license will work in place of the SWA permit.

To purchase the permit online:
  1. Go to cpwshop licensing​ 
  2. Enter your age and resident or nonresident
  3. Click Go
  4. From the left navigation, select Other and the SWA Permit Annual will be at the top of the page.
B. Property limited to 250 vehicles. 
C. All loud noises that disturb the peace, except legal hunting activities, are prohibited from 10:00 pm – 6:00 am. 
D. Camping is prohibited as posted. 
E. Fires are prohibited. 
F. Glass beverage containers are prohibited. 
G. Hunting prohibited as posted, including hunting from floating devices. 
H. Target practice is prohibited. 
I. Sailing and windsurfing prohibited, except in July and August. 
J. Boating is prohibited in a manner that creates a white water wake. 
K. Waterskiing is prohibited. 
L. From October 1 through the dark goose season, fishing restricted to the dam, ice fishing restricted to 50 yards of the dam, and boating prohibited, except for craft propelled by hand or electric motor used to set and pick up decoys and retrieve downed waterfowl.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds visitors to check current hunting, fishing and land use regulations when planning to visit a State Wildlife Area. Refer to the Recreational Lands Brochure, as well as the Fishing and Hunting Regulation Brochures located on the Regulations Brochures Page. State Wildlife Area visitors can also find rules and regulations information in Chapter 9 Regulations.

Contact Info
Area CPW Office: Brush, (970) 842-6300.