Mammals Research Section Leader
Current or Recent Research Projects
Areas of Interest and Expertise
My research focuses on large mammal ecology and management, with an emphasis on population dynamics, population monitoring, and population genetics.
Wild Science: Mule Deer in the Piceance Basin
Johnson, D. H., C. Anderson Jr., R. D. Applegate, L. Bailey, E. Cooch, J. Feiberg, A. B. Franklin, R. J. Gutiérrez, K. V. Miller, J. D. Nichols, N. D. Niemuth, D. Otis, C. A. Ribic, M. M. Rowland, and T. L. Shaffer. 2021. Editor's Message: A perspective on the Journal of Wildlife Management
. Journal of Wildlife Management 87:1305-1308. https://doi.org/10.1002/jwmg.22110
- Northrup, J. M., A. Arvin, C. R. Anderson Jr., E. Brown, and G. Whittemyer. 2019. On-animal acoustic monitoring provides insight to ungulate foraging behavior. Journal of Mammalogy 100:1479–1489. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmammal/gyz124
- Jacques, C. N., R. W. Klaver, T. S. Swearingen, E. D. Davis, C. R. Anderson, J. A. Jenks, C. S. DePerno, and R. D. Bluett. 2019. Estimating density and detection of bobcats in a fragmented Midwestern landscapes using spatial capture-recapture data from camera traps. Wildlife Society Bulletin 43:256–264. https://doi.org/10.1002/wsb.968
- Peterson, M.E., C. R. Anderson Jr., J. M. Northrup, and P. F. Doherty Jr. 2018. Mortality of mule deer fawns in a natural gas development area. The Journal of Wildlife Management 82:1135–1148.
- Bergman, E. J., C. R. Anderson, Jr., C. J. Bishop, A. A. Holland, and J. M. Northrup. 2017. Variation in ungulate body fat: individual versus temporal effects. The Journal of Wildlife Management 82:130–137.
- Peterson, M. E., C. R. Anderson Jr., J. M. Northrup, and P. F. Doherty Jr. 2017.
Reproductive success of mule deer in a natural gas development area. Wildlife Biology 4:1-5. https://doi.org/10.2981/wlb.00341
- Northrup, J. M., C. R. Anderson, Jr., and G. Wittemyer. 2015.
Quantifying spatial habitat loss from hydrocarbon development through assessing habitat selection patterns of mule deer. Global Change Biology 21:3961–3970. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13037
- Lendrum, P. E., C. R. Anderson, Jr., K. L. Monteith, J. A. Jenks, R. T. Bowyer. 2014. Relating the movement of a rapidly migrating ungulate to spatiotemporal patterns of forage quality. Mammalian Biology 79:369–375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mambio.2014.05.005
- Freeman, E. D., R. T. Larsen, M. E. Peterson, C. R. Anderson, Jr., K. R. Hersey, B. R. McMillan. 2014. Effects of male‐biased harvest on mule deer: implications for rates of pregnancy, synchrony, and timing of parturition. Wildlife Society Bulletin 38:806–811. https://doi.org/10.1002/wsb.450
- Northrup, J. M., M. B. Hooten, C. R. Anderson, Jr., and G. Wittemyer. 2013. Practical guidance on characterizing availability in resource selection functions under a use–availability design. Ecology 94:1456‐1463. https://doi.org/10.1890/12–1688.1
- Lendrum, P. E., C. R. Anderson, Jr., K. L. Monteith, J. A. Jenks and R. T. Bowyer. 2013. Migrating mule deer: effects of anthropogenically altered landscapes. PLoS ONE 8(5): e64548. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0064548
- Lendrum, P. E., C. R. Anderson, Jr., R. A. Long, J. G. Kie, and R. T. Bowyer. 2012. Habitat selection by mule deer during migration: effects of landscape structure and natural–gas development. Ecosphere 3:1–19. https://doi.org/10.1890/ES12–00165.1
- Anderson, C. R., Jr., F. G. Lindzey, K. H. Knopff, M. G. Jalkotzy, and M. S. Boyce. 2010. Cougar management in North America. Pages 41-54 in M. Hornocker and S. Negri, Editors. Cougar: Ecology and Conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Anderson, C. R., Jr., and F. G. Lindzey. 2005. Experimental evaluation of population trend and harvest composition in a Wyoming cougar population. Wildlife Society Bulletin 33:179-188. https://doi.org/10.2193/0091-7648(2005)33[179:EEOPTA]2.0.CO;2
- Anderson, C. R., Jr., and F. G. Lindzey. 2003. Estimating cougar predation rates from GPS location clusters. The Journal of Wildlife Management 67:307-316. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3802772
- Anderson, C. R., M. A. Ternent, and D. S. Moody. 2002. Grizzly bear-cattle interactions on two cattle allotments in northwest Wyoming. Ursus 13:247-256. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3873205
- Ph.D., Zoology and Physiology — University of Wyoming, 2003
- M.S., Zoology and Physiology — University of Wyoming, 1994
- B.S., Wildlife Biology — Colorado State University, 1990
Current or Recent Positions
- Mammals Researcher Section Leader — Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 2013-Present
- Wildlife Researcher — Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 2006-2013
- Affiliate Faculty — Idaho State University, 2009-Present
- Affiliate Faculty — Colorado State University, 2012-Present