Wildlife Researcher, Carnivores
Current or Recent Research Projects
- Wolf ecology
- Wolf habitat selection and movement during re-establishment in Colorado
- Wildlife management
- Statistical estimation of wolf abundance
- Quantifying the effects of management practices and disease on wildlife harvest
- Wolf-livestock dynamics
- Identifying and examining potential nonconsumptive effects of wolves on cattle
- Predator-prey dynamics
- Examining wolf and hunter effects on elk movement, space use, and aggregation patterns
- Quantifying conditions under which predators influence prey diseases
Areas of Interest and Expertise
My background is in terrestrial wildlife ecology with a focus on carnivores (primarily gray wolves) and infectious diseases. I am interested in many facets of wildlife ecology, especially social behaviors, predator-prey interactions, population dynamics, and disease dynamics. My work intersects wildlife ecology, wildlife management, statistics, and disease ecology.
- Cubaynes, S., E. E. Brandell, D. R. Stahler, D. W. Smith, E. S. Almberg, S. Schindler, R. K. Wayne, A. P. Dobson, B. M. vonHoldt, D. R. MacNulty, P. D. Cross, P. J. Hudson, and T. Coulson. 2022. Disease outbreaks select for mate choice and coat color in wolves. Science 378:300–303; DOI: 10.1126/science.abi8745
- Meyer, C. J., K. A. Cassidy, E. E. Stahler, E. E. Brandell, C. B. Anton, D. R. Stahler, and D. W. Smith 2022. Parasitic infection increases risk-taking in a social, intermediate host carnivore. Communications Biology 5:1–10; doi.org/10.1038/s42003-022-04122-0
Gilbertson, M. L., E. E. Brandell, M. E. Pinkerton, N. M. Meaux, M. Hunsaker, D. Jarosinski, W. Ellarson, D. P. Walsh, D. J. Storm, and W. C. Turner. 2022. Cause of death, pathology, and chronic wasting disease status of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) mortalities in Wisconsin, USA.
Journal of Wildlife Diseases 54:803–815; DOI: 10.7589/JWD-D-21-00202
Brandell, E. E., P. C. Cross, D. W. Smith, W. Rogers, N. L. Galloway, D. MacNulty, D. R. Stahler, J. Treanor, and P. J. Hudson. 2022. Examination of the interaction between age‐specific predation and chronic disease in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
. Journal of Animal Ecology. 91:1373-1384, https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13661
Brandell, E.E., P. C. Cross, M. E. Craft, D. W. Smith, E. J. Dubovi, M. L. Gilbertson, T. Wheeldon, J. A. Stephenson, S. Barber-Meyer, B. L. Borg, and M. Sorum. 2021. Patterns and processes of pathogen exposure in gray wolves across North America
. Scientific reports 11(1):1-14.
Brandell, E. E., N. M. Fountain‐Jones, M. L. Gilbertson, P. C. Cross, P. J. Hudson, D. W. Smith, D. R. Stahler, C. Packer, and M. E. Craft. 2021. Group density, disease, and season shape territory size and overlap of social carnivores
. Journal of Animal Ecology, 90(1):87-101.
- Ph.D., Ecology – Pennsylvania State University, 2021
- B.S., Wildlife Biology – University of Montana, 2015
Current or Recent Positions
Wildlife Research Scientist – Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 2022-Present
Postdoctoral Associate – Wisconsin Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit, Dept. of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2020-2022