Wildlife Researcher, Species of Conservation Concern
- Ph.D., Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology — Colorado State University, 2011
- M.S., Wildlife Biology — University of Montana, 2000
- B.S., Wildlife Science — Purdue University, 1997
Current or Recent Positions
- Wildlife Researcher — Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 2010 – Present
- Refuge Biologist — U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2003-2005
- Piping Plover Recovery Biologist — The Nature Conservancy, 2000-2003
Areas of Interest, Expertise
My research focuses on estimating wildlife population parameters and forest carnivore ecology, conservation and monitoring.
Current or Recent Research Projects
Impacts of pine and spruce beetle outbreaks on Canada lynx, snowshoe hares, and other mammals and breeding birds in Colorado.
Short- and long-term impacts of forest management on snowshoe hares in lodgepole and spruce-fir systems.
- Magee, P. A., J. D. Coop, and J. S. Ivan. In Press. Thinning alters avian occupancy in pinon-juniper woodlands. Condor 00:000-000.
- Ivan, J. S., A. E. Seglund, R. L. Truex, and E. S. Newkirk. 2018. Mammalian responses to changed forest conditions resulting from bark beetle outbreaks in the southern Rocky Mountains. Ecosphere 9:e02369.
- Olson, L. E., J. R. Squires, E. K. Roberts, J. S. Ivan, and M. Hebblewhite. 2018. Sharing the same slope: behavioral responses of a threatened mesocarnivore to motorized and nonmotorized winter recreation. Ecology and Evolution 8:8555-8572.
- Buderman, F. E., M. B. Hooten, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2018. Large-scale movement behavior in a reintroduced predator population. Ecography 41:126-139.
- Olson, L. E., J. R. Squires, E. K. Roberts, A. D. Miller, J. S. Ivan, and M. Hebblewhite. 2017. Modeling large-scale winter recreation terrain selection with implications for recreation management and wildlife. Applied Geography 86:66-91.
- Baigas, P. E., J. R. Squires, L. E. Olsen, J. S. Ivan, and E. K. Roberts. 2017. Using environmental features to model highway crossing behavior of Canada lynx in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Landscape and Urban Planning 157:200-213.
- Buderman, F. E., M. B. Hooten, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2016. A functional model for characterizing long-distance movement behavior. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 7:264-273.
- Hooten, M. B., F. E. Buderman, B. M. Brost, E. M. Hanks, and J. S. Ivan. 2016. Hierarchical animal movement models for population-level inference. Environmetrics 27:322-333.
- Ivan, J. S., and T. M. Shenk. 2016. Winter diet and hunting success of Canada lynx in Colorado. Journal of Wildlife Management 80:1049-1058.
- Ivan, J. S., and E. S. Newkirk. 2016. Cpw Photo Warehouse: a custom database to facilitate archiving, identifying, summarizing, and managing photo data collected from camera traps. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 7:499-504.
- Ellis, M. M., J. S. Ivan, J. M. Tucker, and M. K. Schwartz. 2015. rSPACE: Spatially based power analysis for conservation and ecology. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 6:621-625.
- Ivan, J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2014. Density and demography of snowshoe hares in central Colorado. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:580–594.
- Gerber, B. D., J. S. Ivan, and K. P. Burnham. 2014. Estimating the abundance of rare and elusive carnivores from photographic-sampling data when the population size is very small. Population Ecology 56:463-470.
- Trainor, A. M., O. J. Schmitz, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2014. Enhancing species distribution modeling by characterizing predator–prey interactions. Ecological Applications 24:204–216.
- Ellis, M. M., J. S. Ivan, and M. K. Schwartz. 2014. Spatially explicit power analyses for occupancy-based monitoring of wolverine in the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Conservation Biology 28:52–62.
- Ivan, J. S. 2013. Density estimation. Pages 20.1–20.19 in E. Cooch and G. White, Editors. Program MARK - 'A Gentle Introduction'. 11th Edition. 983pp.
- Ivan J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2013. Using simulation to compare methods for estimating density from capture-recapture data. Ecology 94:817–826.
- Ivan, J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2013. Using auxiliary telemetry information to estimate animal density from capture-recapture data. Ecology 94:809–816.
- Stromborg, K. L., J. S. Ivan, J. K. Netto, and C. R. Courtney. 2012. Survivorship and mortality patterns of double-crested cormorants at Spider Island, Wisconsin, 1988–2006. Waterbirds 35:31–39.
- Ivan, J. S., and R. K. Murphy. 2005. What preys on piping plover eggs and chicks? Wildlife Society Bulletin 33:113-119.
- Murphy, R. K., I. M. G. Michaud, D. R. C. Prescott, J. S. Ivan, B. J. Anderson, M. L. French-Pombier. Predation on adult piping plovers at predator exclosure cages. 2003. Waterbirds 26:150-155.
- Murphy, R. K., R. J. Greenwood, J. S. Ivan, K. A. Smith. 2003. Predator exclusion methods for managing endangered shorebirds: are two barriers better than one? Waterbirds 26:156-159.
- Ivan, J. S., and R. K. Swihart. 2000. Selection of mast by granivorous rodents of the central hardwood forest region. Journal of Mammalogy 81:549-562.