Wildlife Researcher, Species of Conservation Concern
Current or Recent Research Projects
Areas of Interest, Expertise
My research focuses on estimating wildlife population parameters and forest carnivore ecology, conservation and monitoring.
- Zimova, M., A. P. K. Siren, J. Nowak, A. M. Bryan, J. S. Ivan, T. L. Morelli, J. S. Suhrer, J. Whittington, L. S. Mills. In Press. Local climate determines vulnerability to camouflage mismatch in snowshoe hares. Global Ecology and Biogeography 00:000-000.
- Squires, J. R., L. E. Olson, E. K. Roberts, J. S. Ivan, and M. Hebblewhite. 2019. Winter recreation and Canada lynx: reducing conflict through niche partitioning. Ecosphere 10:e02876.
- Ayers, C. R., K. C. Hanson-Dorr, K. Stromborg, T. W. Arnold, J. S. Ivan, and B. S. Dorr. 2019. Survival, fidelity, and dispersal of Double-crested Cormorants on two Lake Michigan islands. Auk 136:1–10.
- Tabak, M. A., M. S. Norouzzadeh, D. W. Wolfson, S. J. Sweeney, K. C. Vercauteren, N. P. Snow, J. M. Halseth, P. A. Di Salvo, J. S. Lewis, M. D. White, B. Teton, J. C. Beasley, P. E. Schlichting, R. K. Boughton, B.
- Wight, E. S. Newkirk, J. S. Ivan, E. A. Odell, R. K. Brook, P. M. Lukacs, A. K. Moeller, E. G. Mandeville, J. Clune, and R. S. Miller. 2019. Machine learning to classify animal species in camera trap images: applications in ecology. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 10:585–590.
- Magee, P. A., J. D. Coop, and J. S. Ivan. 2019. Thinning alters avian occupancy in pinõn-juniper woodlands. Condor 121:1–17.
- Buderman, F. E., M. B. Hooten, M. W. Alldredge, E. M. Hanks, and J. S. Ivan. 2018. Time-varying predatory behavior is primary predictor of fine-scale movement of wildland-urban cougars. Movement Ecology 6:1–22.
- Ivan, J. S., A. E. Seglund, R. L. Truex, and E. S. Newkirk. 2018. Mammalian responses to changed forest conditions resulting from bark beetle outbreaks in the southern Rocky Mountains. Ecosphere 9:e02369.
- Olson, L. E., J. R. Squires, E. K. Roberts, J. S. Ivan, and M. Hebblewhite. 2018. Sharing the same slope: behavioral responses of a threatened mesocarnivore to motorized and nonmotorized winter recreation. Ecology and Evolution 8:8555-8572.
- Buderman, F. E., M. B. Hooten, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2018. Large-scale movement behavior in a reintroduced predator population. Ecography 41:126-139.
- Olson, L. E., J. R. Squires, E. K. Roberts, A. D. Miller, J. S. Ivan, and M. Hebblewhite. 2017. Modeling large-scale winter recreation terrain selection with implications for recreation management and wildlife. Applied Geography 86:66-91.
- Baigas, P. E., J. R. Squires, L. E. Olsen, J. S. Ivan, and E. K. Roberts. 2017. Using environmental features to model highway crossing behavior of Canada lynx in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Landscape and Urban Planning 157:200-213.
- Buderman, F. E., M. B. Hooten, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2016. A functional model for characterizing long-distance movement behavior. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 7:264-273.
- Hooten, M. B., F. E. Buderman, B. M. Brost, E. M. Hanks, and J. S. Ivan. 2016. Hierarchical animal movement models for population-level inference. Environmetrics 27:322-333.
- Ivan, J. S., and T. M. Shenk. 2016. Winter diet and hunting success of Canada lynx in Colorado. Journal of Wildlife Management 80:1049-1058.
- Ivan, J. S., and E. S. Newkirk. 2016. Cpw Photo Warehouse: a custom database to facilitate archiving, identifying, summarizing, and managing photo data collected from camera traps. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 7:499-504.
- Ellis, M. M., J. S. Ivan, J. M. Tucker, and M. K. Schwartz. 2015. rSPACE: Spatially based power analysis for conservation and ecology. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 6:621-625.
- Ivan, J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2014. Density and demography of snowshoe hares in central Colorado. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:580–594.
- Gerber, B. D., J. S. Ivan, and K. P. Burnham. 2014. Estimating the abundance of rare and elusive carnivores from photographic-sampling data when the population size is very small. Population Ecology 56:463-470.
- Trainor, A. M., O. J. Schmitz, J. S. Ivan, and T. M. Shenk. 2014. Enhancing species distribution modeling by characterizing predator–prey interactions. Ecological Applications 24:204–216.
- Ellis, M. M., J. S. Ivan, and M. K. Schwartz. 2014. Spatially explicit power analyses for occupancy-based monitoring of wolverine in the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Conservation Biology 28:52–62.
- Ivan, J. S. 2013. Density estimation. Pages 20.1–20.19 in E. Cooch and G. White, Editors. Program MARK - 'A Gentle Introduction'. 11th Edition. 983pp.
- Ivan J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2013. Using simulation to compare methods for estimating density from capture-recapture data. Ecology 94:817–826.
- Ivan, J. S., G. C. White, and T. M. Shenk. 2013. Using auxiliary telemetry information to estimate animal density from capture-recapture data. Ecology 94:809–816.
- Stromborg, K. L., J. S. Ivan, J. K. Netto, and C. R. Courtney. 2012. Survivorship and mortality patterns of double-crested cormorants at Spider Island, Wisconsin, 1988–2006. Waterbirds 35:31–39.
- Ivan, J. S., and R. K. Murphy. 2005. What preys on piping plover eggs and chicks? Wildlife Society Bulletin 33:113-119.
- Murphy, R. K., I. M. G. Michaud, D. R. C. Prescott, J. S. Ivan, B. J. Anderson, M. L. French-Pombier. Predation on adult piping plovers at predator exclosure cages. 2003. Waterbirds 26:150-155.
- Murphy, R. K., R. J. Greenwood, J. S. Ivan, K. A. Smith. 2003. Predator exclusion methods for managing endangered shorebirds: are two barriers better than one? Waterbirds 26:156-159.
- Ivan, J. S., and R. K. Swihart. 2000. Selection of mast by granivorous rodents of the central hardwood forest region. Journal of Mammalogy 81:549-562.
- Ph.D., Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology — Colorado State University, 2011
- M.S., Wildlife Biology — University of Montana, 2000
- B.S., Wildlife Science — Purdue University, 1997
Current or Recent Positions
- Wildlife Researcher — Colorado Parks and Wildlife, 2010–Present
- Refuge Biologist — U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2003-2005
- Piping Plover Recovery Biologist — The Nature Conservancy, 2000-2003