Sign In
AHRA Water Flow
AHRA Water Flow
​​
Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Map

Announcements

Water Order FAP19-34
July, 31 2019
We're going to stop the project release from Twin at 16:00 this afternoon. That will be a decrease of 50 cfs in the Twin release.
Water Order FAP19-33
July, 29 2019
We're going to start the Mt Elbert conduit at 400 cfs at noon today. We'll turn off the Halfmoon Diversion at that time. We're also going to increase the release from Twin by 75 cfs at 10:15 this morning, 29 July. 50 cfs of this will be project water and the rest will be native. GENERAL There will be a dual outage of the Mt. Elbert powerplant beginning August 5 so any end of season balancing of project water between Turquoise Reservoir and Twin Lakes will need to be accomplished before then. Sugarloaf Dam Monday, July 29, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. Release 400 cfs through the sleeve valves to the Mt. Elbert Conduit. Friday, August 2, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. End the release of 400 cfs through the sleeve valves to the Mt. Elbert Conduit. Halfmoon Diversion Monday, July 29, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. Stop the Halfmoon diversion into the conduit. Maintain until further notice. Twin Lakes Dam Monday, July 29, 2019 at 10:15 Hrs. Release 50 cfs of project water from Twin Lakes. Maintain until further notice.
Water Order FAP19-32
July, 23 2019
We're going to balance out the project water between Turq and Twin this week by moving water down the conduit from Tuesday to Friday. The only changes to the river will be stopping the Halfmoon diversion into the conduit. GENERAL There will be a dual outage of the Mt. Elbert powerplant beginning August 5 so any end of season balancing of project water between Turquoise Reservoir and Twin Lakes will need to be accomplished before then. Sugarloaf Dam Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. Release 400 cfs through the sleeve valves to the Mt. Elbert Conduit. Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. End the release of 400 cfs through the sleeve valves to the Mt. Elbert Conduit. Halfmoon Diversion Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. Stop the diversion of Halfmoon Creek into the conduit. Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. Resume the diversion of Halfmoon Creek into the conduit. Maintain until further notice.
Increase in Twin Release
July, 04 2019
Runoff is on the way up again. We're going to increase our release from Twin Lakes by 100 cfs at 09:30 this morning. After the gate change we'll be releasing 677 cfs- 2 of account, 125 of project and the rest of native.
Water Order FAP 19-31
July, 03 2019
It looks like we have enough room for imports in the upper reservoirs. We're going to stop releases to Mt Elbert conduit at noon. We'll try to divert Halfmoon Creek into the conduit but the crew there thinks there might be a problem with trash in the racks so it may be a little later. We've also stopped the project release from Twin to Pueblo. There are no changes to the river at this time. On Friday, Twin Lakes Canal Company will probably fill their space in Twin. At that point, we'll have to release the native inflow. We'll schedule those increases over several hours. GENERAL Turquoise Lake has enough room to store anticipated imports. Sugarloaf Dam Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 12:00 Hrs. End release flows to the Mt. Elbert Conduit through the Sugarloaf power plant. Maintain normal bypass flows. Halfmoon Diversion Friday, July 5, 2019 at 12:30 Begin diverting Halfmoon flows into the conduit. Maintain until further notice. Twin Lakes Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 00:00 End project water release to Pueblo Reservoir. Maintain until further notice.
Water Order FAP 19-30
July, 03 2019
We're going to try operating the Sugarloaf powerplant. If the plant can operate normally, we'll pass flows out of Turquoise to the Mt Elbert conduit through it. We'll take diversions from Halfmoon to bring he total conduit flow to 400 cfs. If the plant doesn't operate as expected, we'll return to releasing 400 cfs from the sleeve valves. GENERAL The Sugarloaf power plant repairs have been completed. The power plant staff aren’t sure of the flows that can be passed through the plant under current conditions. They will start the plant this morning. If flows are near 350 cfs, they will continue to operate the plant. If not, flows will return to the sleeve valve at 400 cfs. If the plant operates, Halfmoon flows will be added to the conduit to bring the entire conduit flows to 400 cfs. Sugarloaf Dam Monday, July 1, 2019 at 08:00 Hrs. Begin to release flows to the Mt. Elbert Conduit through the Sugarloaf power plant. Maintain normal bypass flows. Halfmoon Diversion Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:00 Begin diverting Halfmoon flows into the conduit. Maintain until further notice.
Decrease in Twin Release
July, 03 2019
Twin Lakes Canal Co came into priority at 07:00. We're going to start storing 600 cfs of native water so we'll need to cut Twin's release. Starting at 08:30, we'll cut 100 cfs every 15 minutes until 9:00. At 9:00, we'll be releasing 386 cfs, 125 of project, 2 of account and the rest native.
Increase in Twin Release
July, 03 2019
We're going to follow the runoff up with 4 more 100 cfs increases in the release from Twin Lakes. We'll increase at 10:30, 11:00, 11:30 and 12:00. After the last change, we'll be releasing 782 cfs. Of this, 125 is project, about 2 is account and the rest is native.
Decrease in Turq Release
July, 03 2019
CSU will begin storing water in their Turquoise account. At 12:00 today, we will decrease the release down Lake Fork by 25 cfs. After this, we will be releasing around 170 cfs, all of which is native. We will also make cuts to the total release Weds, Thur and Fri, Sat, Sun, and Tue of 25 cfs at 08:00. Tomorrow, we will convert 50 cfs of the Turq native release to an account release for Aurora. Right now, we anticipate that Twin Lakes Canal Company will fill their storage in Twin Lakes on Friday. At that time, we're obligated to release the native inflows into Twin. My best guess right now is the native inflows will be about 1500 cfs.
Decrease in Turquoise release
June, 21 2019
We're going to decrease the release from Turquoise down Lake Fork Creek by 25 cfs at 14:00 this afternoon, 20 Jun. After the gate operation, we'll be releasing 191 cfs, all of it native.
Decrease in Twin Release
June, 20 2019
Aurora is going to exercise a river exchange, storing 350 cfs of the native inflow from Thur evening to Sat evening. At the same time, we need to cut our native releases from Twin. We'll make all the gate changes for these operations from Twin Lakes. 8:30 decrease 100 cfs 9:00 decrease 100 cfs 10:00 decrease 100 cfs 11:00 decrease 100 cfs 13:00 decrease 100 cfs. After all of the gate changes, we'll be releasing 550 cfs, all but 2 cfs of which is native.
Water Order FAP19-29
June, 20 2019
Convert 125 ctf of the native release to a project release. We need to move a little project water from the upper reservoirs to Pueblo. This isn't going to affect the 500 cfs decrease in the Twin release today.
Water Order FAP19-28
June, 18 2019
TLCC has gone out of priority and needs to release the native inflow to Twin. To help them make that increase, we're converting the 600 cfs project release to a 100 cfs project release at 16:00 today. This is going to cover 2 of the gate changes we'd planned to make this afternoon. We've made 2 100 cfs increases this morning and we'll make 2 more at 11:00 and 13:00 ending the gate operations at 1050 cfs. At 16:00, we'll convert the project release. Our release at 16:00 will be 1050 cfs, all but less than 1 cfs of it native.* *Correcting the previous narrative, I'm converting all of the project release to native.
Increase in Twin Lakes Release
June, 18 2019
Twin Lakes Canal Co is no longer in priority so we're going to start releasing the native inflows again. At 8:30, we'll increase 100 cfs. At 10:00, we'll increase 100 cfs. At 11:00, we'll increase 100 cfs. At 13:00, we'll increase 100 cfs. At 14:00, we'll increase 100 cfs. At 15:00, we'll increase 100 cfs. After all of these gate operations, we'll be releasing 1250 cfs. We'll leave Lake Fork Creek releases at 212 cfs for the next few days.
Decreases in Lake Fork Release
June, 17 2019
Between Twin Lakes Canal Company storing all the native from Lake Creek and the cooling trend, we need to decrease the native release from Turquoise to Lake Fork Creek. We can decrease 25 cfs a day without affecting the bank stability. We'll decrease 25 cfs at 10:30 to day, 17 June, going from 265 to 240 cfs. We plan to continue to make 25 cfs decreases daily from 18-26 Jun at 08:00 with a final change bringing us down a total of 15 cfs down Lake Fork Creek. If anything changes, I'll let you know.
Water Order FAP19-27
June, 16 2019
'm going to convert 50 cfs of the Twin release from native to project at 00:00 16 Jun. We'll be releasing 600 cfs of project. Twin Lakes Canal Company came into priority to store all of the native inflows to Lake Creek. We'll be decreasing the native release to 0 between 07:30 and 11:30 this morning. After those gate changes, we'll be releasing 600 cfs of project and 2 of account. We're still releasing native inflows to Turquoise down Lake Fork Creek.
Decrease in Twin Release
June, 16 2019
Twin Lakes Canal Company has come into priority to store the full inflow from Lake Creek. We will begin decreasing the Twin release in such a manner as to maintain Lake Creek's banks. At 07:30 this morning, we will cut 75 cfs, then another 75 cfs at 07:45. At 08:45, we'll cut another 75 cfs and an additional 75 cfs at 09:00. At 10:00 and 10:15, we will make 2 more 75 cfs cuts. At 11:00 and 11:15, we'll decrease the release by 2 65 cfs cuts. After 11:15, we'll be releasing 602 cfs, all but 2 cfs of which is project.
FAP 19-26
June, 14 2019
The Twin Lakes Canal Company has come into priority and is requesting to store 400 cfs in Twin Lakes, so we will be converting 400 cfs of the native release from Twin Lakes to a Project run to Pueblo Reservoir.
FAP19-25
June, 13 2019
We're going to replace a little of the native release from Twin Lakes with a project release (150 cfs). We need to move some of the project water in Twin down to Pueblo to make room for new imports. I expect this release will be replaced by native again shortly. There's no gate change associated with this.
Decrease in Twin and Turquoise Release
June, 12 2019
I finally got the admin account back down after last weekend. I'm going to cut 25 cfs from the Turquoise release down Lake Fork Creek at 14:00 today, 12 Jun. The state is checking the flow measurements there so I'm not sure what the actual flow will be after the gate operation but it'll be 25 cfs lower. We'll also cut 25 cfs from Twin at 16:00 today. After the operation, we'll be releasing 1125 cfs. All of our releases are native with less than 1 cfs of accounts.
Water Order FAP19-24
June, 11 2019
We're going to test repairs to the Sugarloaf (STS) Powerplant at Turquoise at 09:00 this morning. Before testing, we'll reduce the flows a little on Lake Fork Creek long enough to make sure there won't be any surges during the switch. We'll take the flows back to 325 cfs once that's assured. If the powerplant repairs hold, we'll continue to release water through the power plant at the max rate- 350 to 380 cfs depending on the lake head pressure. If the powerplant doesn't operate properly, we'll go back to releasing 400 cfs through the sleeve valves. Just an FYI- the plant appears to be operating normally but, because of the head pressure, we can't get 350 cfs through it right now. We're also releasing 325 cfs down Lake Fork. If something caused the plant to trip off, we would risk that water being sent down Lake Fork along with the scheduled release. The plant personnel have decided to hold off operating the plant for 2 weeks, then they'll reassess operations. We'll maintain releases at 380 cfs (plus 10 cfs through the bypass for the hatchery) through the sleeve valve until further notice.
Increase in Twin release
June, 10 2019
We're going to increase the native release from Twin Lakes 3 times today: at 10:00, we'll increase by 100 cfs; at 12:00, we'll increase another 100 cfs; and at 16:00, we'll increase another 100 cfs. After the last gate operation, we'll have a total of 1155 cfs released from Twin Lakes, almost all of which is native. Turquoise release down Lake Fork will remain at 325 cfs.
Increase in Turq and Twin Releases
June, 08 2019
At 9:30 this morning, 8 Jun, we're going to increase the release from Twin down Lake Creek by 50 cfs. After the gate operation, we'll be releasing 634 cfs, almost all of which is native. At 10:30 this morning, we'll increase the release from Turquoise down Lake Fork Creek by 50 cfs. After the gate operation, we'll be releasing 272 cfs, all of which is native.
Increase in Lake Fork and Lake Creek releases
June, 07 2019
We're going to keep up with the increases in the native inflows. At 10:30, 7 Jun, we'll increase the release from Turquoise down Lake Fork Creek by 50 cfs. This will take us up to 225 cfs. At 9:30, we'll increase the release from Twin Lakes down Lake Creek by 50 cfs. That will take us to 575 cfs. Almost all of the releases are native. There is a river exchange against native flows into Twin today but we're still releasing native water that has come in the past couple of days.
Increase in Turquoise Release
June, 05 2019
We're going to add another 50 cfs to Lake Fork Creek today. After the gate operation at 10:00 this morning, we'll be releasing 115 cfs down Lake Fork, all of which is native.
Increase in Twin Release
June, 05 2019
We're going to increase the native release out of Twin by 100 cfs today, 5 Jun 19. We'll make a 50 cfs increase at 11:30 and another at 11:45. After the gate op, we'll be releasing 400 cfs, almost all of which is native.
Increase in Turquoise release
June, 04 2019
We're going to start releasing native inflows down Lake Fork Creek at 11:00 this morning, 4 Jun. We're going from 15 cfs to 65 cfs, all of which is native.
Water Order FAP19-23
June, 03 2019
We're going to start moving Turquoise project water down the Mt Elbert conduit to Twin. We'll be running the conduit at 400 cfs. There aren't any gate changes.
Increase in Twin Release
June, 02 2019
We're going to increase the native release from Twin by 115 cfs at 11:00 this morning, 2 Jun 19. After the gate operation, we'll be releasing 287 cfs, all but 1 cfs of which is native.
Water Order FAP19-22
May, 31 2019
We're going to increase our flow down Mt Elbert conduit a little.
12345678910...

This page depicts the Flow Program Target and the flow of the Arkansas River as measured in cubic feet per second (cfs) at the Wellsville Gage near Salida, CO. This page also tracks, in acre feet (af), the amount of water released as part of the summer component of the Voluntary Flow Program.

WaterFlow Summary

Program Water: 13440 (af)

Flow Program Releases: 4205 (af)

Estimated Program Water Remaining: 9235 (af)

WaterFlow Data

DateWellsville FlowFlow Program
7/13/2018 11:00:00 AM408200
7/12/2018 1:30:00 PM284250
7/10/2018 10:00:00 AM284230
7/9/2018 1:00:00 PM398180
7/6/2018 10:30:00 AM383200
7/5/2018 1:30:00 PM378220
7/4/2018 8:00:00 AM333260
7/3/2018 11:00:00 AM308300
7/1/2018 7:00:00 AM283280
1/12/2018 11:00:00 AM3110
12/11/2017 1:00:00 PM4160
12/6/2017 12:00:00 PM4160
11/14/2017 3:15:00 PM6690
11/6/2017 10:00:00 AM6180
11/2/2017 9:00:00 AM6200
10/27/2017 9:00:00 AM5650
10/21/2017 12:00:00 PM6000
10/9/2017 12:00:00 PM5600
10/9/2017 12:00:00 PM5600
10/4/2017 10:00:00 AM5580
9/29/2017 8:00:00 AM4120
9/28/2017 8:00:00 AM4520
9/26/2017 8:00:00 AM3600
9/24/2017 8:00:00 AM4600
9/23/2017 12:00:00 PM3250
12345678910...

WaterFlow Graph

Fixed Range: Default  Week  One Month  Three Months  One Year
Custom Range
Begin Date:
Select a date from the calendar.
End Date:
Select a date from the calendar.

WaterFlow Floating Graph

Water Temps & Daily Averages

DateWellsville Flow Daily Average (cfs)Salida Boat Ramp Temperature
6/5/2019 50°F
 37462°F
 34959°F
 34659°F
 34259°F
 33962°F
 36764°F
 41262.5°F
 40162°F
 38260°F
 38660°F
 38260°F
 34661°F
 315 
 328 
 37164°F
 32563°F
 31164°F
 31163°F
 31162°F
 298 
 27663°F
 25962°F
 26762°F
 264 
12