Hunting at Highline Lake State Park
NEW FOR 2019-2020 SEASON:
Reservations, made online through CPWshop.com or by phone, are required to hunt at Highline.
Visit the CPW hunting reservation page or call 1-800-244-5613 for more information or to reserve a hunting blind.
You are responsible for knowing the state hunting regulations that apply to you. For information on area hunting access, seasons and regulations please review:
Hunters are required to have:
- a park pass.
- a valid Colorado small game/waterfowl hunting license.
- a habitat stamp.
- a Colorado and federal waterfowl stamp.
Where can I purchase a small game hunting license?
You may purchase your small game hunting license at the Highline Lake visitor center, but please call 970-858-7208 to verify the visitor center is open before your visit. Licenses can also be purchased online, by phone at 1-800-244-5613 or at CPW locations and CPW sales agents.
Small Game Hunting
Hunting is permitted Monday through Friday ONLY, with shotguns only during legal seasons in designated hunting zones.
- The small game hunting season usually begins in September at Highline Lake, and ends in February.
- Small game hunting is permitted in:
- the area bounded by the north and east state park boundary line;
- north of the Highline Lake no-wake buoy line;
- and east of Mack Mesa Lake.
- Small game hunters must fill out a small game hunting card at the West gate before going out to hunt. Boundary map signs are posted here.
Waterfowl hunting is allowed Monday through Friday only, 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset during legal seasons in designated hunting zones.
- Waterfowl hunting season usually begins each September and ends in January of the following year.
- There are seven blinds available at the north end of Highline Lake for waterfowl hunting.
- All waterfowl hunting must be done from one of the blinds.
- Prior to hunting, hunters must either make a reservation for a blind (online or by phone) the day prior to hunting, or register by filling out a hunting card at the west gate for an available blind.
- Reservations for individual blinds are posted on the board at the west entrance to the park.
- Hunters with reservations also need to fill out a hunting card when they arrive to claim their blind.
Waterfowl Hunting in the Winter
The blinds become iced-in during the winter, so check the Conditions page or call Highline Lake at 970-858-7208 for waterfowl hunting conditions.
Youth Waterfowl Hunting
One weekend each fall is set aside for youth to experience waterfowl hunting.
- This designated weekend is the only weekend during the year that waterfowl hunting is allowed at Highline Lake (waterfowl hunting is normally only allowed M-F).
- ALL youth hunters must be accompanied by a non-hunting mentor.
For more information on the designated youth waterfowl hunting weekend, please contact the park at 970-858-7208.