Hunting at Highline Lake State Park
Reservations, made online through CPWshop.com or by phone, are required to hunt at Highline.
Visit the CPW hunting reservation page or call 1-800-244-5613 for more information or to reserve a hunting blind.
You are responsible for knowing the state hunting regulations that apply to you. For information on area hunting access, seasons and regulations please review:
Hunters are required to have:
- a park pass.
- a valid Colorado small game/waterfowl hunting license.
- a habitat stamp.
- a Colorado and federal waterfowl stamp.
Where can I purchase a small game hunting license?
You may purchase your small game hunting license at the Highline Lake visitor center, but please call 970-858-7208 to verify the visitor center is open before your visit. Licenses can also be purchased online, by phone at 1-800-244-5613 or at CPW locations and CPW sales agents.
Small Game Hunting
Hunting is permitted Monday through Friday ONLY, with shotguns only during legal seasons in designated hunting zones.
- The small game hunting season usually begins in September at Highline Lake, and ends in February.
- Small game hunting is permitted in:
- the area bounded by the north and east state park boundary line;
- north of the Highline Lake no-wake buoy line;
- and east of Mack Mesa Lake.
- Small game hunters must fill out a small game hunting card at the West gate before going out to hunt. Boundary map signs are posted here.
Beginning Monday, December 19, 2022, the hunting blinds will not be reservable as we anticipate the water will have receded to the point of making hunting a challenge.
Waterfowl hunting is allowed Monday through Friday only, 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset during legal seasons in designated hunting zones.
- Waterfowl hunting season usually begins each September and ends in January of the following year.
- There are seven blinds available at the north end of Highline Lake for waterfowl hunting.
- All waterfowl hunting must be done from one of the blinds.
- Prior to hunting, hunters must either make a reservation for a blind (online or by phone) the day prior to hunting, or register by filling out a hunting card at the west gate for an available blind.
- Reservations for individual blinds are posted on the board at the west entrance to the park.
- Hunters with reservations also need to fill out a hunting card when they arrive to claim their blind.
Waterfowl Hunting in the Winter
The blinds become iced-in during the winter, so check the Conditions page or call Highline Lake at 970-858-7208 for waterfowl hunting conditions.
Youth Waterfowl Hunting
One weekend each fall is set aside for youth to experience waterfowl hunting.
- This designated weekend is the only weekend during the year that waterfowl hunting is allowed at Highline Lake (waterfowl hunting is normally only allowed M-F).
- ALL youth hunters must be accompanied by a non-hunting mentor.
For more information on the designated youth waterfowl hunting weekend, please contact the park at 970-858-7208.