The 2019 Novice Hunter Program registration is open.
The Novice Hunter Program (NHP) supports new hunters (adults and youth), with detailed pheasant hunting knowledge, practical field experience, and quality instruction on a trap range. Upon completing NHP, hunters should have an understanding of common small game hunting skills and a solid knowledge base to expand their hunting skills.
Novice Hunter Program Eligibility Requirements:
Hunter Education within the last 3 years (since 1/1/2016)
- Adults and youth age 12 or older
- Self-described as a "Novice Hunter" - the NHP is designed to help new hunters with little access to hunting mentors
- Has not taken NHP in a previous year
- The Novice Hunter Program is a free event
Class and Field Instruction Details - Registration Required
Students must complete classroom instruction and a half-day field session to receive a NHP vehicle Walk-In Access (WIA) permit.
Students must bring their
Hunter Education card with them to class for verification
Classroom instruction will cover pheasant biology, habitat, where to hunt, regulations, ethics, safety, gear, and field tactics
Half-day field sessions will include a wing-shooting clinic and simulated hunt
Students may borrow a shotgun for the field sessions and mentored hunts
The NHP WIA properties are in Northeast Colorado
Mentored hunts are available during the pheasant hunting season to students who desire additional instruction
Youth 18 and under must have a parent or guardian attend all sessions and events
Registration is limited, and on a first come, first serve basis. If the you are interested in is full, please sign up for the wait list to be contacted if spots open up.
Metro-Denver Area (2 days) - Register for Denver Classes
Half day field clinic:
- Date/Time: Thursday, July 18, 6-9:30 pm
- Location: Denver Hunter Education building
- Date/Time: Saturday, July 20
- Location: Barr Lake State Park
- Northern Front Range (1 day) - Register for Wellington Class
Classroom & field clinic:
- Date/Time: Saturday, July 27, 7:45 am to 4:30 pm
- Location: Wellington Senior Resource Center