The 2019 Novice Pheasant Hunter Program registration is closed.
The Novice Pheasant Hunter Program (NPHP) supports new hunters (adults and youth), with detailed pheasant hunting knowledge, practical field experience, and quality instruction on a trap range. Upon completing NPHP, hunters should have an understanding of common small game hunting skills and a solid knowledge base to expand their hunting skills.
Novice Pheasant Hunter Program Eligibility Requirements:
Hunter Education within the last 3 years (since 1/1/2016)
- Adults and youth age 12 or older
- Self-described as a "Novice Pheasant Hunter" - the NPHP is designed to help new hunters with little access to hunting mentors
- Has not taken NPHP in a previous year
- The Novice Pheasant Hunter Program is a free event
Class and Field Instruction Details - Registration Required
Students must complete classroom instruction and a half-day field session to receive a NPHP vehicle Walk-In Access (WIA) permit.
Students must bring their
Hunter Education card with them to class for verification
Classroom instruction will cover pheasant biology, habitat, where to hunt, regulations, ethics, safety, gear, and field tactics
Half-day field sessions will include a wing-shooting clinic and simulated hunt
Students may borrow a shotgun for the field sessions and mentored hunts
The NPHP WIA properties are in Northeast Colorado
Mentored hunts are available during the pheasant hunting season to students who desire additional instruction
Youth 18 and under must have a parent or guardian attend all sessions and events
- The 2019 Novice Pheasant Hunter Program is completed and is no longer accepting registrations.
- Check this page in May 2020 for registration information.