Sign In
Special Activity Agreement Permit
Special Activity Agreement Permit
​​​​​​​​Chatfield Hot Air Balloon

​​​​​​​​​​​​A special activity agreement (SAA) permit may be required if you want to do an unusual activity or hold an organized group activity other than a normal picnic or camping trip.​

Why do I need a special activity permit?

Chatfield loves to host events, but need to know about your event well ahead of time so we can space is available, and make sure your event won't harm the natural resources or overlap with other visitors activities.

What kinds of events usually require a special activity permit?

​Some past examples are running, swimming, & biking events, weddings, open water baptisms, school or other organized groups, fishing tournaments, group skills training, dog tracking, hot air balloon launches, professional photography, and more.​

If you have another kind of event in mind or if you are unsure if your event is suitable for Chatfield, please contact the email the park at with details about your event and we will let you know if you are in need of a Special Activity Agreement.

How soon should I apply for a special activity permit?

Please submit your application at least 90 days ahead of the date of your event or activity to see if you need to complete a special activity agreement.

What forms do I need to fill out to apply for a permit?

​Please read and fill out the appropriate special activity information and application below.

  • A non-refundable $30 processing fee is required with each application.​​

  • Applications that are not submitted for consideration far enough in advance (90 days ahead of your date) may be rejected due to lack of availability​ or application processing time.

Special Activity Agreement Permit Application

  1. ​​Special Activity Agreement Instructions – please read this detailed information about our special activity agreement application process.

  2. Special Activity Agreement Application – fill out and submit the SSA application for your activity/group (other than hot air balloon launching). 

Hot Air Balloon Special Use Permit Application

  1. Recreational Balloon Permit Packet – this packet contains all you need to know about the requirements to  ​launch and pilot a hot air balloon at Chatfield.

  2. Balloon Pilot Application – fill out and submit this form to apply to launch and pilot your hot air balloon at Chatfield.